[GSBN] Sticking clay on top of lime?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:31:35 UTC 2020

"I already suggested that to the couple, but they prefer clay finish…’

People drawn to natural building have hopes and dreams.  Generally, that is a good thing.  It is also frequently a problem, when our hopes and dreams lead us to try things that are risky, or known to fail.  How does a professional builder work with a client, who wants to follow a dream instead of the knowledge and experience of the natural building community?

Perhaps some small-scale experimentation can show the clients what they may face in trying to apply clay over lime wash.  Success can only occur if this specific clay can bond well to this specific lime.  A small test may show that adhesion is a problem.  Unfortunately, a test can’t show what happens over time.

Best wishes,
Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu<mailto:derek at unm.edu>