[GSBN] [Gsbn] Important GSBN News

Bill Christensen billc at sustainablesources.com
Sat Mar 28 02:55:11 UTC 2020

Hi all,

The Straw Bale Registry server started giving me problems just last
week... it is currently offline, and since we're under "stay at home"
orders here in Austin, TX, it'll probably be next week at the earliest,
possibly the week after that before I can address the problem.  The
Registry is the only thing on that server.

The Registry server and the software that runs the Registry are both
pretty old.  I've been wanting to completely overhaul it and expand the
scope for years, but I don't have any funding to do that - We received
some funding to build it initially (shout out to Catherine Wanek), but
there's been pretty much nothing ever since.

I have the data from the Registry downloaded of course.  I suspect it'll
take a fair bit of work to make it usable. I also suspect that the
contact info for a fair number of the listed buildings is waaaay out of
date as we've done nothing to remind people to update their listings for
a very long time. But we do have location info, if someone wanted to
follow up on that.

You can see some of the data by going to
http://web.archive.org/web/20190904143620/http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com/search.straw.
They didn't archive all the way down in many cases, and of course they
could only see the info which is publicly visible.  A lot of SB people
are pretty adamant about their privacy and we took pains to insure that
we could collect data about their SBs without making it public except in
a general aggregate form.

Remember also that some years into this project, State Farm decided to
use the Registry to identify and deny insurance to SB homes - the exact
opposite of our intent. That resulted in further restrictions on what
identifying info we were able and willing to share.  I'm pretty sure
that occurred prior to the oldest data on archive.org (2011).