[GSBN] Administrivia part 2

Martin Hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 30 16:38:46 UTC 2020

Hi Bill -

Sarah Seitz:  sarahjseitz at gmail.com

Dawn Smith:  islandvillagebuilding at gmail.com   and/or   dawn at asri.ca

Sadly, Mark Aschheim passed away in June at the young age of 55. Mark was a
highly respected seismic and civil engineering professor at University of
Illinois and Santa Clara University. His rigorous testing of straw bale
shear walls with students and professionals over many years and the
development of their seismic code provisions were instrumental in the
approval of the Strawbale Appendix in the International Residential Code
used in the U.S. He was a contributing author to Bruce King’s Design of
Straw Bale Buildings and authored many journal articles on the subject. He
also facilitated research, testing and implementation of other alternative
methods of construction such as bamboo, earthbag, adobe and cob. He was a
great friend of straw bale and natural building.

I’m also sad to hear of Bob Gough’s passing. Another great friend and
advocate of natural building.

Martin Hammer