[GSBN] Fwd: Heat storage capacity of wall systems.

Lars Keller larskeller at gmail.com
Thu May 2 15:55:58 UTC 2019

Thank you very much for your thoughts Derek.

I think the three answers I have received by now all agree on the
theoretical charateristics.
And then there is the practical application of how the theories apply in
the real world.
Very interesting.

I got this reply from a colleague on another list:

“Hi Lars,

you can take a look at this table. It’s in french but easy to translate.
You have to take a look at the « chaleur spécifique » and you can see how
much energy can be stored by each materials. You can search as well on
google "specific heat capacity » and compare. That’s true that cellulose is
one of the best because it’s from wood (see wood fiber panels). Solid oak
wood is up to 2300 J/kgK.
It’s not particularly related to weight, granite has only capacity of 774
J/kgK and hydrogen 14300 J/kgK.
In France now they start to take into account the capacity and « déphasage
» which is the time that is needed for an insulation material to start to
transfer the heat to the inside of the building.
On a roof, if you install the same thickness of insulation, one with glass
wool and one with wood fiber boards, even if the the lambda is better for
glass wool the thermic capacity is 2 time higher for wood fiber boards. It
means that the material can absorb 2 time more energy before it starts to
transmit it inside. It’s like a sponge that can absorb 2 times more water
than an other one that will be full 2 time later and start to let water go
2 time later.
Ideal is to have a « dephasage » of 12 hours, so in summer while the sun
heats the roof during whole day, the heat will start only to arrive inside
when night comes and already cools down the outside. 20 cm of wood fiber is
enough while you need 40 cm of glass wool to reach the same cycle and
prevent over-heating during summer. This works for summer but not for
winter. Energy streams are different. Having 40 cm of wood fiber wouldn’t
be the best because it means that heat would start to come inside the day
after when sun rise again and heat the inside of the room. Calculation of
insulation have to take into account local climate on 24 hour cycle and
seasonal as well to find the best ratio and equilibrium between summer and
winter comfort.
Other aspect is as well regulation of vapor that has a very high thermic
capacity (over 2000 J/kgK) so straw or wood again have a big advantage on
mineral wool that don’t deal well with this.
You can find on the web some studies or calculation about the time
releasing for each material and straw.
I don’t remember density of EC panels but it should not be too difficult to
calculate the whole capacity of a panel. This capacity cycle is
particularly important for the roof because it receive direct sun heat.
It’s less important for a wall and big capacity can be interesting to
maintain higher inertia of the building.

Have a good day,

Denis

Materiaux densité [kg/m3] conductivité thermique λ [W/mK] chaleur
spécifique [J/kgK] energie grise [kWh/m3] Ouate de cellulose soufflé 24
0.042 1900 15 Ouate de cellulose injecté 45 0.042 1900 100 Ouate de
cellulose panneaux 70 0.042 1900 150 Fibre de bois panneaux 50 0.039 2100
60 Polystyrène expansé 15 0.039 1450 500 Laine de verre panneaux 35 0.039
1030 470 Laine de roche panneaux 70 0.042 1030 430 Laine de chanvre
panneaux 40 0.040 1700 40 Liège expansé panneaux 125 0.049 1560 450 Paille
80 0.050 1330 0 Perlite en vrac 70 0.060 900 330

Densité ou masse volumique ρ [kg/m3]”

Best, Lars

- - -

--