[GSBN] R value export straw blocks?

Bruce EBNet bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Tue Jan 27 22:23:26 UTC 2015

Seems to me that lots of people would like to know more about optimal density of agricultural fibers as insulation.  Not because it would mean much to bale builders, for all the reasons just articulated by y’all, but because there is a wide array of insulating straw building products just itching to enter the market, and they would like to be as good as possible.

I’m part of one of them, Stak Block (and yes, we have only built one tiny cabin so far), but I know of many others hovering at various stages of development.  If they are to get anywhere we would need:

- to stop fossilizing fossil fuels so much (not holding my breath)
- to develop a cheap, clean, durable binder to replace MDI and formaldehydes
- to develop effective mobile manufacturing — small but profitable rolling manufacturing plants that can be pulled by truck or rail to grain farms as the season is right.
- to know how dense to make straw blocks, panels, and “foams”

Straw bale construction isn’t going to save the world, but it can and should serve as a sort of culture shifter that opens up widespread use of ag by-products (rather than cement and plastic foam) to provide safe, warm shelter.

So it would be nice to know optimal density for each straw or fiber.

Thanks,

Bruce “Watch me shift my culture” King

(415) 987-7271
BuildWellLibrary.org