[GSBN] R value export straw blocks?

Bruce EBNet bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Mon Jan 26 20:27:49 UTC 2015

Graeme (et al) —

Be sure to read John Straube’s extensive reply on this thread, like “Cellulose, rockwool, fiberglass and expanded polystyrene all increase their R-value as density increases from very low levels All have an optimal point, which varies slightly, and then the R-value drops again.”.

John surely knows more than I, but it’s easy to imagine that a per-inch R-value for an insulation material will be a function of several things, such as:
- the conductance of the material itself (as opposed to the fluffy insulation product), e.g., the solid wall of the straw vs. a tube-shaped single straw vs. a straw bale — three very different things
- the size of the captured air pockets:
	- how much do they vary?
	- how much do they interconnect?
	- what is the average size? ( can there be convection cycles within them?
	- and probably other things

Everybody make a mental note:  the next time some student asks what straw bale subject needs further research, this is it:  what is optimal density for optimal thermal resistance?

Thanks,

Bruce King

(415) 987-7271
BuildWellLibrary.org