[GSBN] data loggers

Enga Lokey enga at thelokeys.net
Sun Dec 21 12:20:32 UTC 2014

Jacob (and others),

The crux of my situations is that I am in the process of building a straw bale house at the moment. I am also in the process of beginning a PhD where my advisory has convinced me that using my house as a case study for some of the questions I was interested in would be ideal. The good side of this is that I have a very willing homeowner for data collection and very accurate use/lifestyle info. The downside is that the house is further along than the research, and I came to my senses in Sept and realised that I could not do both of them simultaneously with any quality. So, the PhD is somewhat on the back burner for the next 3 months while I get a big push on the house build.

Ideally, I would spend 6 months or so combing all of the relevant research including methods of data collection, then design the perfect study with the perfect tools, and finally put that design to practice in the house I am building. However, the house is happening now and I am going to just have to make my best guesses (and get some great advice from experts like yourself) as to how to install and record temp/humidity info and then move forward. I am sure the crystal ball of hindsight will be clear and if there is another willing homeowner, I may be able to do better follow up testing down the road.

The university has a limited number (exact number is vague at this point) of data loggers that they will contribute to the project that can be built into the walls and then will live out their days in place. As I understand it, the data can be retrieved wirelessly but the battery life is only 2 years. I would prefer longer. Interior and outdoor ambient temp will also be measured.

Thank you for the very thoughtful list of considerations for the sensors. I have answers to many of these questions and need to look into details of some of the others. I will spare you the nitty gritty detail of answering each of them, but I appreciate the detailed list.

Thanks,
Enga

enga at thelokeys.net