[GSBN] data loggers

Jacob Deva Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 9 03:53:05 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Enga I remember we corresponded a bit on this - can't remember what I
said, hope it was of some use! Been having quite a lot of trouble
staying on top of my emails these days...

There are quite a lot of different sensors out there - more
manufacturers than I can recall - and if you are looking for budget, you
can find them pretty cheap if you can build/assemble the system
yourself. I think GE and other companies sell temp and RH sensors for
less than US$20/each, or even cheaper. Off-the-shelf, pre-assembled,
ready-to-go packages will be more expensive, for sure - and I'm not
terribly well-versed on those, as I've been working on making my own
version rather than using other company's versions.

Some considerations for any sensor system (though some of these are more
relevant to DIY than off-the-shelf):

- do you want to do a combined temp/RH sensor, or individual temp and RH
sensors? What are you monitoring and where, how many do you need?
- what is the data range you need? this is a big one - if you need to
get from really cold ambient temps to really hot, sensors go up in cost
(same w RH, it gets more expensive to find sensors that give accurate
readings at higher RH). If you go off-the-shelf, you need to look at the
spec's and ensure the sensors will read within the environmental
parameters you are seeking to evaluate. Otherwise, your data will not be
fully representative of the conditions you are analyzing. Accuracy is
another important feature (that also affects cost), as many sensors drop
off in accuracy as you get to the far ends of their range. If you are
doing research-quality testing, accuracy becomes all the more important
than just for curiosity's sake or QC. This is a pretty crucial piece.
- how are the sensors wired, and what are they wired to? what are you
thinking of using to receive the data? to analyze it?
- how do you plan on powering the sensors? hard-wire, or battery
(wireless)? life-expectancy? how long to you plan on collecting data?
- how are you mounting/installing the sensors in such a way that they
are protected from damage, yet still connected to the regional atmosphere?
- will the specific mounting and wiring regime allow environmental
changes that will alter your data? i.e. conduits that could trap
condensation, or wire that could conduct thermal energy
- how will you know which sensors are providing what data, and where
they are located in the building? How do those locations relate to
differing environmental conditions (i.e. solar orientation, vertical
location)
- do you plan on retrieving the sensors for
replacement/maintenance/repair/calibration?
- how will you calibrate the sensors for accuracy prior to installation?
- do you plan on also recording interior and exterior temp/RH to give
full environmental context?
- will the building occupants allow needed resources for long-term
testing (access, power, internet connection, etc)

I hope this isn't too overwhelming. These are some of the many questions
I asked (really, am still asking) in developing our sensor system, given
the goals of our project. But ultimately, it is the goals and intended
purposes that will drive how you design your program. Like building, the
devil is in the details, and a clear understanding of goals will lay out
the design, which will inform those details. So like any good design,
start with getting a clear sense of what you are looking to achieve, the
logistics, budget, and time frame influencing the project, and see what
solutions fit those parameters.

Hopefully most of these questions will be easy to answer, or not
necessary to ask. I strongly recommend finding published studies of
projects that have had sensors installed, whether bale or otherwise, and
read the sections where they discuss methodology and the construction of
the testing environment. They will give many good clues and precedent of
how to set up a rigorous sensing system. That's a great place to start.
They will also tell you the equipment they use.

I realize this may be more complicated of an answer than you might like,
but if I remember correctly you are looking for research-quality data
(forgive me if I'm wrong here), and so the rigor is all the more
important in setting up a quality testing environment.

By the way, Frank gives me more credit than I deserve in describing our
units as "already manufactured" - we've gone through a few iterations of
development, and we are now stalled out pending my gaining enough
control back over my schedule to push the project the rest of the way
forward. I am expecting to inject more time into this later this winter
for a more formal launch in the season ahead - though I've said that
before...

Hope that's helpful, best of luck.
Jacob