[GSBN] Ceiling Air Barrier

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Fri Nov 21 02:36:11 UTC 2014

I'd advocate for drywall AND the membrane. The membrane, when installed
with great care to seal all seams, is a good attempt at a perfect air
barrier. I've used a product by CertainTeed called Membrain, which is a
variably permeable sheet material, similar to your product, (in
intention, at least).
I have used this material would good results, in double-stud,
dense-packed cellulose wall construction.

To the ceiling, I would add drywall and a rough taping of the seams, to
seal them, with a drywall 'mud'. This layer acts as a bit of a
fire-stop. Or, at least a fire slow-down.
On top of the drywall, (towards the inside of the ceiling), I would add
the wood layer, for aesthetic purposes.

Some building codes require a layer of drywall, under any other ceiling
covering materials, such as wood, bamboo, rattan, etc., for fire
resistance. II imagine that it could mean the difference between a
fire-ruined interior, or a total fire-loss of the roof.

My Canadian back-woods two-cents.

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com