[GSBN] Ceiling Air Barrier

Min Hall minhall at xnet.co.nz
Thu Nov 20 22:14:52 UTC 2014

Hi Enga - And now another two cents worth. Cathedral ceilings are not that
great for the acoustics in a room and adding the dry wall(gib as we call it
in NZ) certainly helps with this. It helps muffles external noise – rain,
hail, etc. and it can also be part of an absorptive acoustic treatment –
having drywall, then some more battens with 2 inches(50mm) of acoustic
insulation and then your timber ceiling lining with ¼ to 3/8 inch
(6-10mm)gaps between each board.

Just designing a house for a music buff and we are striking all these
issues.

Cheers

Min