[GSBN] Straw bale at high altitudes (and snow against bale walls)

Jacob Deva Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 12 03:03:41 UTC 2014

Martin,

We've had a lot of snow pack up against our buildings.  I have noticed
that in some places - particularly against north walls where it takes a
really long time to melt - premature wear against the plaster can be an
issue. This is common enough to encourage us to provide generous
overhangs (24" min) and really strong separation of exterior plaster
from grade (18-24" standard) as standard practice, although honestly
that's as much to address splash back as snow pack.  I have also
noticed, however, that there is enough heat loss from the walls to melt
the snow directly adjacent to the wall - there is almost always a gap
between the exterior wall surface and the snow bank, and that's
obviously helpful.  The drying potential of the plaster in this region,
from our limited but relevant testing in late winter/early spring during
our testing program, seems to be adequate in nearly all cases, with
higher MC% against the north wall where the drying potential in general
is worse.  Not sure that counts as a formal answer, but our general
strategy as been to get the plaster/bale assemblies up above most of the
snow back, and not worry to much about it when the snow does build up.
It's been working pretty well so far, to the best of our knowledge and
testing.

In a related note, I've just been consulting with a contractor working
on a wood-clad straw wall up here, who is dealing with premature failure
of a skirt board against the inside corner of a bump-out on a north
wall.  The leading hypothesis, after consulting a lot of pretty smart
folks (including Derek Roff, on this list), is that the combination of
snow pack and drip line from an inadequately-flashed bump-out roof is
causing dramatic splash back at that location.  So, snow isn't just an
issue of melting water, it also changes the grade profile during that
magic window where it is raining/roof snow pack is melting and the snow
banks are still there.  Apparently, if the theory is correct, this can
foil some otherwise-adequate bottom-of-wall detailing strategies.  And
if it can rot out wood in three years, plaster stands little chance...

My apologies to the metric-oriented members of the community, I am
thoroughly illiterate in that regard.

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob Deva Racusin