[GSBN] The EU wants 5% strawbuildings by 2020 says the Economist..

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sat Dec 21 04:10:31 UTC 2013

Carol,

Ok, I'm corrected, straw is important as a soil nutrient. Straw is
unquestionably treated as a waste product in large-scale mechanized
agribusiness, and is a by-product of that industry, whether or not that's a
Good Thing. (Perhaps sustainable forestry, in which trees are grown to be
used for construction, is a better alternative to using a valuable
agricultural product, and we shouldn't have dreams of large-scale use of
straw as a building material).

An enormous amount of rice is grown in California, exported into the
international market.  There is easily enough straw produced to build every
new house in the state. The problem with rice straw is that it does not
break down in a single season without plowing under *twice* because of it's
high silica content (it grows in standing water). In the past the straw has
been burned, as it is in many places around the world, but this is a
problem for human habitation.

About 25 years ago, the California Air Quality Control Board put a ban on
straw burning, and the farmers had to look for other ways to deal with
their abundant straw. One was to flood the fields to hasten the breakdown,
but the salmon fishermen and Indian tribes had a problem with that, because
abundant water flow is vital to spawning in the rivers and streams. Bale
builders had an idea, and the original straw bale code in California was
pushed through by an alliance of fishermen, rice farmers and builders, who
normally only ever meet underwater, during abalone season.

There have been difficulties, however. Burning also controlled weeds and
insects, and the varieties grown were not sufficiently resistant to the new
conditions, so the bans on burning were loosened.  From the farmer's point
of view, the straw is an expensive problem to deal with, and they are
politically very powerful. Our friend, client and rice farmer, Greg
Massa<http://massaorganics.com> has
been growing organic rice and has learned that some crop rotation or cover
crops are essential for weed control, but this is new territory--rice
farming around the world is a monoculture. He doesn't see his straw as
waste. He is growing on a small scale, and experimenting with techniques
that other farmers could use, but his rice is expensive because of those
techniques. Meanwhile the large-scale farmers burn it, to the detriment of
humans, flood the fields, to the detriment of the fish and fishermen, or we
can put it into buildings in place of fiberglass, wood, concrete, steel and
a variety of toxic and polluting materials.  We don't use anything close to
even what would be available from a three-year rotation of straw, so I do
think it's legitimate to consider the straw that we use as a "highest and
best use".

I hope I'm not being cranky, like my alter-ego Upside-down John, on the
underside of the globe, but I think it's important to really understand the
web of interdependence we live in. Natural building sometimes makes strange
bedfellows!

John