[GSBN] Baling from rounds

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 27 22:12:28 UTC 2013

Hi Chris and all,

The way I see it is most people want to "Pull Apart" a round bale and " feed
it into" a small square baler.
ROLL OUT the round bale and then re bale in the standard baling method. That
is move the small square baler over the windrow ( rolled out bale) similar
to as it would be in the field.
Yes you need a long straight piece of ground to do this, and if you are
wanting to do it inside a shed in winter, then get a big shed.

Another option is to opt for large rectangle bales rather than rounds.
Machines to slice and resize large rectangle 4ft x 4 ft x 8 ft bales are
readily available, but may be cost restrictive. The bales remade form large
rectangles are denser than std small square, and can be made into some
interesting configurations.
Eg 1200 long 600 high 400 wide ( yes it's metric, sorry). Weight was getting
to the point of needing to be a 2 person lift approx 40 kg.
The machines that do the  baling can be adjusted to create a bale of less
density, as they are baled for farm convenience not for best building bales.
The resizing machine we have here ( not me , near by)reties using heavy poly
twine but also ties it around the bale at approx 150mm intervals, making
resizing the length a breeze.
I will try and find the photos I have of some of I put into a test rig to
ascertain what creep may occur in these bales.

Cheers Lance.

PS; The bad news is that I think the resizing machine had a price tag
     with 6 zero's on it.

Cheers lance
House of Bales.
South Australia