[GSBN] How many strawbale buildings in the USA?

Bill Christensen lists at sustainablesources.com
Tue Sep 17 04:33:13 UTC 2013

Based on the numbers in the SB Registry for Texas vs the number I know
of in just the Central Texas area, I would definitely push the numbers
to easily 10x the listed amounts in general.

One thing to consider is the kind of people who are often drawn to SB.
There are a fair number (at least in the US) who are very private about
personal information, and there are a fair number who have no interest
in the online world, both of whom would not be likely to list themselves.

Note also that the Registry is entirely voluntary.

Note also that the listing numbers have been rather flat for a good
number of years - partly because we've stopped promoting it as much as
we used to.  Perhaps there has been a slowdown in the actual
construction numbers as well.  That wouldn't be entirely surprising.
Maybe the revival of The Last Straw will bring an influx of new listings.

There are pockets where SB enthusiasts have listed every building that
goes up.  There are more areas where people quietly built after
researching on the internet or reading about it in a magazine somewhere,
with little to no connection to the wider SB/natural building community.

For my own part, I have to say that the Registry is deeply in need of a
software overhaul.  We built it 12 years ago, and the underlying
programming is way out of date.  The server it's on is old and slow,
because the software is so old it won't run on a newer server.  Hard
drive space cost a lot more back then... now it's a lot cheaper and we
could easily accommodate image uploads. There are a lot of other
enhancements we could do, if time and money were no object.  It's been
on my long list of things to do for quite a while now, but I've had to
keep my attention on work that pays my bills (there's been just slightly
above zero funding beyond the initial generosity of Catherine Wanek).
Now that I've taken on a 40 hour a week gig, my time to work on pet
projects like this is slimmer than ever, though the financial need is,
fortunately, less.

At the same time, I regularly get email from people who benefit from its
existence - finding information about mortgagers and insurance, as well
as just finding out, as someone put it in an email to me this morning,
that at least someone else in their area has already gone through the
permitting process.