[GSBN] Drainage within a plaster system

Ian Redfern ian at adobesouth.co.nz
Thu Jul 11 00:56:42 UTC 2013

Good afternoon John, Sven and All,

I like the concept of a thin drainage plane behind a rain screen which this
product will provide
HOWEVER   secudrain is designed for horizontal loading where the product
resists crushing forces yet maintains in plane drainage e.g. Interlayers of
roads or landfills.
The apparent confusion is the pull apart strength (tensile strength) along
and across the sheet,  not the tear off or SHEAR effect of vertical loads
where the rain screen plaster coats hang onto the outer skin of the cloth  -
as John and found this stuff will tear apart !

So

My suggestion is to pin this over the (structural) scratch coat that is
direct plastered onto the straw, then overlay this with cintoflex D and lay
up the two or three coat lime plaster rain screen and finish this off with a
lime wash
The rain screen will be supported by the cintoflex (refer Bruce Kings book
for loadings and fixing tests) along the soffit line, and will need
additional fastening along the bottom plate above the J flashing.  The
cintoflex  will probably need some  "anti billowing" fixings  of say roberto
pins into the bales at up to 400 centers across the face of the wall

ian

  www.adobesouth.co.nz   Ian Redfern
 Adobe South