[GSBN] "Dipped" plaster - Straw Bale buildings

PennElys Droz pennelys at sustainablenations.org
Thu Apr 11 16:02:13 UTC 2013

I am curious about the labor-intensiveness of this process, having tried it
myself and determined not to do it again! :)
Plaster coated bales are HEAVY!  I have had great success with simply using
a clay slip first coat over the entire wall, packing the gaps, (lots of
elbow grease and a good crew leader to make sure there are no loose ends),
a thick troweled base coat, and finish.   The slip layer and enough elbow
grease ensures a good wall penetration.  Why dip bales?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Andy Horn
<andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za>wrote:

>  Hi Andre****
>
> I could not agree with you more with what you have said, that “you need to
> drive the plaster into the bales” I suppose I am wrong to use the word
> dipped bales, because once the bale is in or above the “dipping tank” or
> bath filled with a yogurt like consistency of earth, we take wooded stakes
> i.e. cobbing sticks – and force the slip plaster right into the
> straw.....so it is never a simple case of just dipping the bales.****
>
> ** **
>
> As opposed to trying to get the plaster on the bales vertically, by taking
> a watery plaster and pouring it from above into your bales positioned above
> the dipping tank / bath at a comfortable working height and forcing it into
> the bales with a cobbing stick I have found it to be an easy way of getting
> a seriously solid clay coating.....typically a minimum penetration of about
> 80mm. We don’t have such extreme cold so I don’t mind exchanging a bit of
> insulation for added thermal mass. We then half dry the bales off until
> they stiffen up into the consistency of cob. We then take these “cob-bales”
> (like giant bricks of cob) as i like to call them and stack, compact and
> fix them onto the walls with a combination of vertical and horizontal
> staking. We then immediately begin to work the walls with a cobbing stick
> and adding on the plaster. It is quite labour intensive, but a whole lot
> faster and makes for very solid walls.****
>
> ** **
>
> See photos and text of some of the process at:
> <http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.555753287791955.1073741825.190372104330077&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=563405057026778&set=a.555753287791955.1073741825.190372104330077&type=3&theater>
> ****
>

> http://www.facebook.com/EcoDesignArchitects.and.Consultants#!/media/set/?set=a.555753287791955.1073741825.190372104330077&type=3
> ****
>

> http://www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za/ecodesign-projects/residential-projects/category/46-house-morris.html
> ****
>

> http://www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za/ecodesign-projects/community-involvement/category/20-wolvekloof-training-workshop.html
> ****
>

> http://www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za/ecodesign-projects/public-buildings/category/34-nieuwoudtville.html
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> In 3rd world / developing nations – where I work – labour is cheap and i
> believe it is important to create job opportunities for people, so I prefer
> using labour based methods wherever possible. I imagine that spraying it on
> with machinery is also highly effective, but is not something I advocate
> for this part of the world. Here we need to create job opportunities for
> people and desist enslaving more and more of our ways to ones that are
> dependent on  machines and develop simple ways of doing things. We still
> [...]

PennElys Droz, M.S. Director

Sustainable Nations
PO Box 3745
Tucson, AZ  85722
www.sustainablenations.org

*"If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have
come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work
together."      Lila Watson*