[GSBN] High Performance Strawbale

Chris Magwood chris at chrismagwood.ca
Mon Oct 3 22:05:24 UTC 2011

Hi Alfred,

The creation of bale buildings that address infiltration has been my
main focus for the past few years of design/build, and we've got it down
pretty well now. Our last blower door test had 1.2 ACH/50, and
afterwards we realized that the plumbing stack was open! So the walls
and wall junctions were really tight. The house we did for Habitat for
Humanity last year
http://endeavourcentre.com/our-portfolio/habitat-for-humanity-house/ had
some issues around the straw/clay walls we did, but the bale walls were
tight and the house ended up at 2.1 ACH/50.

In particular, I've been focusing on how to achieve this level of air
tightness without lots of yucky "product." For the bale walls, here's
what we do:

- a strip of air barrier runs along the top edge of the wall, running
along the bales, under a strip of mesh, so that the barrier is covered
by the plaster and ties into the barrier in the ceiling. This is the
biggest leaky place in most bale buildings.
- depending on the floor/foundation type, we'll use a similar strategy
at the bottom of the wall for wooden floor systems or good sill
gasketing and a caulk line on the interior and exterior edges for slabs.
- at windows, we don't use spray foam but a light mix of hempcrete to
seal around the windows. Barrier strips are used here too under the
plaster seam.
- electrical outlets get site-made barrier "hats" and we caulk around
the wire once it's been put through the barrier. We've also used the
plastic "R-2000" electrical boxes but we don't trust the neoprene seal
for the wire and caulk these too.

It's really pretty darn easy to get a bale wall air tight. The beauty of
the continuous plaster is that there aren't that many seams, and the
ones that do exist are easy to predict and do something about! It's a
much less difficult and troublesome process than making a frame house
air tight.

As a side note, the prefab panels we've been making have these barrier
"tails" already embedded and ready for joining to other building elements.

The insulation value question is about to come and haunt us in Ontario
too. In January, the codes here raise the required R-values and I'm sure
we'll be facing some questions from plans reviewers who use the lowest
possible figures that are out there. I'm hoping that we can set up some
full-scale testing here to get good figures on a full wall panel, and of
course we'll share any results we get.

Chris "Starving for Air" Magwood

www.chrismagwood.ca
www.endeavourcentre.org