[GSBN] Square footage of straw-bale homes

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Fri May 13 22:24:47 UTC 2011

Around here 5% of houses designed by registered architects  would be a generous figure - it is more like 4% and dropping.

Most houses here are designed by draughtspeople, some of whom do a great job, and many of whom have good design skills, but many do not have these skills as this is not part of their technician training.

So part of the answer to your question Derek, may revolve around the definition of an "architect".  It varies from legislature to legislature. In New Zealand it is not legal to call yourself an architect if you are designing buildings, unless you are a registered architect, but it is legal to call yourself an architectural designer with no training at all. Go figure.  Makes for splendid confusion. In other countries the word  " architectural" is also protected

What influence architects have on overall house design is hard to say - but at a glance I would say not much in reality - possibly the influence spreads over maybe 15% of the market but I am only stabbing optimistically in the dark here.

When it comes to architect influence around expectations and choices around sustainable living I pessimistically think that up-front cost is by far a more important determinant - and having a house that fits self-image of status.

Oh dear.

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road