[GSBN] Experience with Wrapping CMU with Strawbale?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Dec 16 20:25:58 UTC 2010

Since those more directly involved haven't responded, I can mention the beautiful strawbale wrap and remodel by Matts Myrhman and Judy Knox, in collaboration with various crafts people.  They took a character-less boxy house, which had thermal properties resembling an oven, or in winter, a refrigerator, in its Tucson environment.  They turned it into a beautiful and much more efficient home.  Pictures have been published various places, including Catherine Wanek's "The New Strawbale Home" and Kelly Lerner/Carol Venolia's "Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House".    A number of pictures and some text from the latter book can be seen at the link below.

http://books.google.com/books?id=n6hTmIegZqUC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=Matts+Myhrman+Tucson+remodel&source=bl&ots=ZZBgdtKnto&sig=5VbJwU8Yh1guMHBvLss8rzJXHLc&hl=en&ei=iHQKTeGILML7lweVhOmlAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Derelict