[GSBN] Experience with Wrapping CMU with Strawbale?

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 17:08:54 UTC 2010

Mark,

We've been testing the bale wrap idea in various ways: wrapping metal
buildings and cmu's inside and out. Though I think we are far from a
publishable conclusion, or even a conclusion worth banking a large liability
claim on, It seems to work best with lime slurry dipped bales stacked slow
enough to let the slurry dry substantially. I would invest heavily in an
overhang and design the interior finish to be less permeable than the
exterior of the bale finish. and if the CMU's are already heavily coated
with paint on the exterior I'd consider sandblasting that off.

That's my undereducated "building science from the hip" solution for now.
Wishing we all had more experience and money for testing.

Tim

P.S. Matts and Judy's guest house is a gorgeous example and I hope he chimes
in but I think his climate is significantly different enough to not
translate as a comparative success.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM, nature boy <moontrout at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Does anyone have experience or ideas about wrapping an existing or new CMU
> structure with exterior bales? We have a client asking about this idea and
> she is worried about dew point between the CMU and bales.
>
> Airspace between or not?
>
> Mark Lakeman
> Communitecture, Inc.
> & The City Repair Project

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336