[GSBN] Message From Portland

Anthony Novelli anthony.novelli at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:23:47 UTC 2010

Most of you have probably heard of Mark Lakeman and City Repair in Portland. They have taken natural building into the urban core, and produce some of the most exciting and educational projects in the practice we call sustainability.

While at the recent 10th Village Building Convergence, I spent some time on a project in Mark's house, retrofitting his living room with a straw clay infill. This is a demonstration project to further the efforts of what I believe is called the Code Project in Portland, whereby an alternative, systematic approach to incorporating alternatives into mainstream use is envisioned. They have covered much ground there, progressing on multiple fronts, and I believe could benefit from the wisdom of this group.

I'm not sure how attachments are handled on this list. What I can do is try including their application along with Mark's message and see what happens. If this doesn't work, I can provide a link to download the file, and perhaps some photos I took of this particular process.

Lastly, I would like to nominate Mark Lakeman for inclusion on this list. his wisdom and experience as an architect and urban planner fortify his huge portfolio of natural building projects and community organizing. I believe this would be a mutually beneficial inclusion to this excellent company. He is truly one of the most visionary individuals I have had the pleasure of meeting.

All best wishes!!!

Tony Novelli
DCAT / Vital Systems
Ukiah CA

P.S. Attention Chris Magwood... your input was specifically sought by Mark for this application. (and a thousand thanks for the CD... what a rocker!)

******************************Mark's Message Follows ***********************************************

Hello knowledgeable builder gurus/friends,

Attached is the first run of an application we submitted to the City of Portland's Alternative Technology Advisory Committee, with the hopes of getting Light Straw Clay permit-ready in Portland. We've been asked to make some changes, as well as provide additional information. This is where we need your help.

Points that we need to address are:

1) Drying time and method: How do we determine sufficient drying time? Test with a moisture meter? What number are we going for? In a temperate climate like Portland, should we prescribe fans, heaters, dehumidifiers to accelerate drying? What are your experiences doing retrofits - drying success with existing wallboard on one side?

2) To borax or not to borax to inhibit mold during potentially long drying times? There is discussion as to borax's safety, and it has to be mined, transported long distances, etc.

3) We're going for R=2 per inch. It looks like from the testing J. Thornton did in the CMHC study this is possible if optimal density of 39-40 pcf is reached. Any thoughts on specifying materials and proportions to meet that density? How about a method to determine that density in the field - meaning, how can a building inspector determine if the walls are the right density without taking them down? Visual cues? Hit the walls with a hammer? Require test blocks?

Phew...Thank you so much for any and all information/input you might have. Portland is excited about LSC, we just have to get through these few points and we'll be promoting it far and wide...

Best,
Chariti Montez & Mark Lakeman

--
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Tony Novelli
Executive Assistant
Vital Systems
Natural Building and Design