[GSBN] Lightweight concrete roofs

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Mon Jun 21 20:45:59 UTC 2010

Hi all

Anyone have any idea what kind of insulation one could expect out of such a
roof?

And how might one attach a ceiling for insulation to such a structure?

I am designing a structure at the moment, which is based on a series of
hyperbolic parabaloids where cost is a major constraint. We are using poles
with a reed ceiling overlaid with Hessian and then a straw paper clay mix
followed by an insulative water resistant breathable plaster. The premixed
top coat product is called "Thermosim". It stuck me that the latex cement
idea could offer a potential alternate cost effective option.

On another note, I have seen a roof over a twin vault compost toilet at an
eco village called Thlolego, where some kind of cement slurry over a Hessian
cover on off-cut boards was used. I am not sure about whether or not latex
was used in the mix, but it's finish was clearly some kind of latex paint.
However I noticed the last time I visited a couple of years ago that the
Hessian had started to rot with a dark mould having developed and a green
kind of algae/moss growing through it. The structure was about 12 years old.
I don't have an understanding of the effect of latex on cement but in the
long run I am wondering if natural fabrics are such a good idea with cement
for roofs - due to differences in the PH and the moisture contents of such
materials.

Any one have an  idea of what kind of idea moisture content or what PH a
latex cement would have?

I also wonder what the effects of varying levels of humidity would have on
such structures? The Thlolelgo project is even situated in a pretty dry part
of the world.

I would think a geofabric (we call it Bidim) would also make a good and cost
effective alternative to fibreglass. There is also a product that I use for
building sand bag structures, called "Spunbond" which is a woven polyester
and is even more cost effective, which would probably be even better. We get
it locally made here, but I know that one supplier get's their supply from
Germany. While not UV stable the fabric does not degrade in the presence of
high alkalinity products like cement.

On this note however, any idea how thick a coating of latex cement would one
need over the fabric to protect it from UV degradation?

How old are the examples of these latex cement roofs?

Thanks

Andy Horn