[GSBN] UK SB Thermal performance numbers

Kelly Lerner klerner at one-world-design.com
Fri Apr 30 22:16:15 UTC 2010

Hey Rob,
I took off 1" stucco on each side (at R 0.2/inch) on both sides and came up with R 1.75/inch for the bales themselves. Still better than the R 1.25/inch that is listed in the 2007 PHPP.

Kelly

On Apr 30, 2010, at 10:46 AM, RT wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:19:14 +0100
> "Pete Walker" <abspw at bath.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> We have completed a certified thermal conductivity test on a rendered 3.5 x 3.5 m x 0.49 m thick straw bale panel. The U-value (thermal transmittance
>> rather than resistance) was 0.19 W/m2k. An R value of 5.3 m2k/W.
>

> For the benefit of our non-SIU Murrican listmembers, the above translates to a thermal resistivity of R-1.9
> per inch (in imperial units of ft^2*hr*degF/Btu*inch), which is a bit more flattering for SB than the value that the Californians have promoted as a result of their "certified" testing.
>
> So Peter, I'm wondering if you could share with us, a bit about the testing set-up and procedure that was used in the UK testing program (or provide a link to a site that describes it) ?
>
> --
> === * ===
> Rob Tom
> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
> < A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a >
> (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply"

Kelly Lerner, Architect
One World Design Architecture
509-838-8812
www.one-world-design.com

Have you read Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House? Available in Bookstores across the Universe.
www.naturalremodeling.com