[GSBN] New website: Straw Bale Buildings of Ontario

Kelly Lerner klerner at one-world-design.com
Fri Apr 30 13:57:37 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,
I'm currently taking the Passive House Consultant training in the US and I was just looking at the SB values in their certification tool (PHPP) and thinking that they seemed a little low. Could you please send me copy of or link to your certified test so that I can pass that along to PHI US? Thanks,

Kelly
On Apr 30, 2010, at 1:19 AM, Pete Walker wrote:

> Dear Bohdan
>
> We have completed a certified thermal conductivity test on a rendered 3.5 x
> 3.5 m x 0.49 m thick straw bale panel. The U-value (thermal transmittance
> rather than resistance) was 0.19 W/m2k. An R value of 5.3 m2k/W. This is of
> course dependent on straw density and render thickness amongst other things,
> but I believe is a reliable indication of general performance.
>
> Regards
>
> Pete
>
> Prof. Pete Walker,
> Director BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials,
> Dept. Architecture & Civil Engineering,
> University of Bath,
> Bath BA2 7AY,
> UK.
> Tel: 01225 386646
> Fax: 01225 386691
> http://www.bath.ac.uk/bre

Kelly Lerner, Architect
One World Design Architecture
509-838-8812
www.one-world-design.com

Have you read Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House? Available in Bookstores across the Universe.
www.naturalremodeling.com