[GSBN] New website: Straw Bale Buildings of Ontario

Pete Walker abspw at bath.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 08:19:14 UTC 2010

Dear Bohdan

We have completed a certified thermal conductivity test on a rendered 3.5 x
3.5 m x 0.49 m thick straw bale panel. The U-value (thermal transmittance
rather than resistance) was 0.19 W/m2k. An R value of 5.3 m2k/W. This is of
course dependent on straw density and render thickness amongst other things,
but I believe is a reliable indication of general performance.

Regards

Pete

Prof. Pete Walker,
Director BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials,
Dept. Architecture & Civil Engineering,
University of Bath,
Bath BA2 7AY,
UK.