[GSBN] Bales for Haiti

strawnet at aol.com strawnet at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 17:51:08 UTC 2010

 I am very appreciative of all the input by this large and diverse community of engaged and caring people. And I want to publicly commend Derek for his patience, attention to detail, the seriousness of his consideration of the whole spectrum of issues to be wrestled with, and the good-natured and articulate way with which he is dealing with all of this, including all of our well-intentioned feedback, information and comments.

I have known Derek for many years and know he always brings an exceptional amount of care and intelligence, as well as willingness to do the research and work through the harder issues, and when appropriate, change his mind based on new or better information, evidence and/or experience. I think the way he has described the intentions of this first exploratory effort is on target. I think Derek is the right person to help lead this effort and implicitly trust his knowledge, judgment and capabilities.

I think building a straw bale structure as part of an exploratory process makes complete sense, and know that's the process Derek has in mind. He's never been a strawbale-construction-will-save-the-world-and-works-everywhere missionary.

I have another thought to add to the range of things to be considering about what may be appropriate in Haiti. And that is straw-clay blocks, like some of the work that the Steens have done in Mexico. This doesn't require bales, uses a smaller amount of clay to produce blocks that are both much lighter and less fragile that adobe or other mostly earthen materials. The method the Steens and their Mexican partners evolved used a basic concrete post and beam structure - which could be easily adapted for seismic safety - with the straw clay blocks for infill. The result is a mix of insulation and lower mass in a safer wall system. They also saw the micro-enterprise potential for these blocks in Mexico. They also experimented with vaults and domes which could be a later evolution of this system if it proved to be appropriate and effective.

And as always, I am impressed with and interested in the possibilities offered by Paul Olivier related to rice - both for rice hulls and straw and his integrated approach to problems.

 David