[GSBN] Straw Bale Code Appeal

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Mon Nov 30 16:40:08 UTC 2009

Dear GSBN'ers,

First, let me say I am feeling very thankful again for this network,
the value it offers, and the access it provides to so many good people
doing excellent work. I don't write often, but I "listen" a lot and
speak up as my schedule allows.

And secondly, I was asked to share this by several of you. I was
recently hired by a client to appeal a straw bale code in Grand
County, UT that required a "weather barrier" or "sheet barrier" 32" up
the exterior of the straw bale wall under the plaster. This code
requirement has been in place for over 10 years, previously required a
full sheet barrier and was unsatisfactory to many builders and owners
in the jurisdiction. The client, who I applaud, was willing to put
some resources into having a study of this and to create a hopefully
successful appeal for the benefit of those following him. The head
code official is on the board of the International Code Council and is
involved at the state level as well. Thanks go to several folks on
this list who I contacted individually for thoughts and data related
to this issue. I collected data from the StrawSense systems that
GreenWeaver makes and sells and wrote a report summarizing that data,
the data in a study by Kris Dick, and a one-time moisture
investigation I did of the Waldorf School campus in 2007. With that in
hand, I met with the building official, the clients and their builder
last week and at the end of a two hour meeting, he agreed to remove
the requirement from the code and to look more deeply at the other
straw bale requirements and opportunities to improve their code. The
meeting helped me to see again some of the common misconceptions about
drainage vs. storage wall assemblies, the role of plasters, and the
properties of vapor permeance and capillary absorption. But, it also
helped me to understand again the value of taking the educational
approach, going in with an appreciation of the motivations for a code,
and an attitude of wanting to work together. The building official was
very conscientious and I applaud him as well in this change.

Thanks again to those involved.

Laura

I will make available a .pdf of the data after I add some additional
data that came in after the fact.

Laura Bartels
P.O. Box 912, Carbondale, CO 81623
Ph 970-379-6779, Fax 970-963-0905