[GSBN] private vs public archives

Van Krieken vankrieken at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 15:09:34 UTC 2009

Thanks for your welcome.

Bill is right concerning the fear that technology could complicate.

I manage interactive communication (information architecture) since
1986 ( started with Minitel, France) and since then I participate in
many different projects, so I hope my experience can be useful for you
at this point of the discussion.

As I understand, this list puts together a small group of persons with
a deep professional knowledge on various aspects related with straw
bale building. It seems you like to keep a close relationship and
friendly atmosphere BUT, at the same time, you are happy to share your
knowledge with the general public.

Some of you feel uncomfortable to make publicly the discussions /
brainstorm, because there are some personal aspects on focus. This
reluctance is absolutely normal and we all face it (and protect!)
everyday in our lives.

So, we have private discussions and public conclusions.

a) Private discussion can be done as usual, using email or (for those
who prefer) web base forms.

b) Public conclusions should fulfill the technical aspects general
public are looking for.

One way to solve this is to organize the discussions in a forum. Some
forums have a Email Integration (New Threads/Replies by and through
email), as you may see here:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=169247
There are some other solutions (I will send them to Bill, so I do not
bother you with technical software issues).

Conclusion:

1. Discussions can be only for members eyes, and members can keep
using the normal email to do it.
2. Public areas can be organized by specific areas of interest
(Structures, Moisture, Plaster, Insulation, Codes, Insurances, etc,
etc), so that the public (and members...) can find what they are
looking for.
3. The member who starts a particular discussion writes the
conclusions to a specific public area (knowledge base). Its easy and
fast, and we can create a simple guide line how to do it.
4. Both private and public areas can be easily searchable

kind regards

Jorge