[GSBN] private vs public archives

Bill Christensen billc at greenbuilder.com
Sat Nov 14 06:10:28 UTC 2009

Ok... these are legitimate concerns.

I suppose I could set up a separate area for those discussions which
warrant privacy.  It's not a huge amount of work to do that.  Keeping
the subscriber list current might be a mild annoyance, especially as
the list grows in size...

Jorge Van Krieken, our new member from Portugal, emailed me off list
after reading some of the recent archives with the suggestion that we
go with a web-based forum, which could have private areas and public
areas.  My response was that in my experience, busy people such as
those on this list tend to NOT use web based forums as doing so
typically requires at least the extra step of logging in to the web
forum, and doing that tends to get put off until some mythical
"later".   We read email, knock out a quick (or in some cases,
thoughtful) reply, and move on to the next email.   Also, a number of
our users are still on dialup (as far as I know), which compounds the
problem.

Personally, I use web forums a lot.  But I use them mostly to answer
specific questions, and once those questions are answered I may not
log in for months.  I'm not currently aware of any web forums which
allow both the sending of all forum posts to the subscribers' email
AND allow members to reliably and securely post TO the forum by email.

At the very least a web forum would be able to send an email to
everyone letting them know that there's a new discussion in progress,
and usuallly can be set up to send the posts' contents out by email.
Then if someone had an opinion or other discussion they'd have to log
in to throw in their two cents.

It's also possible for me to set up a parallel email list
specifically for private discussions, with members-only archives.

It's a similar amount of work to set up either.  Do any of you have
any particular objections to or interests in seeing one or the other?

--
Bill Christensen
billc at greenbuilder.com

Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://Calendar.SustainableSources.com>