[GSBN] re tying half bales - no needle & butchers knot

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Sat Nov 7 18:40:16 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I respectfully disagree with the following statement:
"... if one uses the method whereby bales are divided by using a
continuous piece of twine to separate the bale into two
smaller bales, that way the existing bale strings need not be cut until
the two new bales are tied off.  That way there is no change in
compression."

The compression of the newly formed bales only depends on how well (or
badly) the new strings are tightened arround the staw.

I usually first cut the old strings before tying the custom bales. This
allows me to take away the (often somewhat rounded) 'heads' of the
bales. I take the flakes that I like which gives me the exact length of
the custom bale I need. I measure this under firm compression by my knee
or hand. This way the custom bales get very square (it avoids having
strings going through the midst of a flake of straw).
I am certain that my custom bales are as dense, if not denser, than the
'normal' bales (I have checked, both with french and with dense US
bales). I find bale needles cumbersome and somewhat dangerous. I only
use them with bales of low quality (very short fibers).

In India we made our rice bales by simply walking on straw in a wooden
box
(http://www.lamaisonenpaille.com//Galeries/Stages/Stage-Auroville.htm).
A big adult (with beerbelly) gave the same compression as a 14 year old
girl. It made me realize that compression of a SB is a very easy thing
to achieve. In fact, the 'stomper' in the baling machine also only
stomps on a regular basis. Compression is not held on the straw during
the baling. But correct me if I'm wrong, I've never stuck my head inside
a baler while it was baling...

In my first professional life (as a butcher) I used to ty up la lot of
roasts. We use a fast, tight solid knot which should not burst while the
roast swells in the oven. I use the same knot for tying my half bales.
For those who want to know how I knot my strings :
Get your string arround your straw (with or without a needle)
Make a simple knot at the end of the string (it acts as a 'stopper')
make a second simple knot in the same end of the string ARROUND the
other end of the string (or stick the other end of the string through
this knot).
Now pull this second knot tight arround the string. - You now have a
'lasso' arround your strawbale.
Pull the end of the string that went through the knot until you find it
tight enough. If your second knot 'rolls' a bit you will find it will
stop at the first 'stopper' knot you made.
Then make a last knot arround the string that is tight arround the bale
to make sure things cannot slip back.

I can sent a drawing to those interested.

Bye,
André - all tied up - de Bouter
France