[GSBN] re tying half bales

Mark Jensen markj at redfeather.org
Thu Oct 29 22:03:32 UTC 2009

Greetings to all,

I have now worked on 11 straw bale wall raisings, not saying I'm an expert
by all means. I have tried a lot of ways to make custom bales and our method
is very similar to Carol's but we use a knot that Matts showed me some years
ago, the French Butcher's knot. I find it very simple to tie, you can pull
some tension and then release and it holds. You can repeat that process
until you have the tension you desire. The knot consists of a simple
overhand knot tied tight at the end and then a loose overhand knot near the
original knot that you just tied. Bring the other end of the twine through
the loose overhand knot, pull up and back, release and repeat. I can get my
custom bales tighter than the original bales with this method. We also wrap
the tail of the twine around a stick to get better pull strength and save
the fingers. No one has complained of sore arms that I recall and want to
make custom bales the next too!

Best wishes,
Mark

Language Learning Center