[GSBN] Chasing any fire test info

Bohdan Dorniak bdco at adam.com.au
Wed Oct 7 23:20:35 UTC 2009

Hi all
Here in Australia testing for bushfires(wildfires) is based on a moving fire
onto a building surface - in our case being a rendered strawbale wall.
As Brian has requested the original fire tests were required to be done to a
lower than present fire intensity (29kW per sq metre) than what is now
required for the new standards. Following the devastating bushfires that we
had in Victoria where some 180 lives were lost ,the  fire intensity was
regarded as greater than the original Australian Standards required, new
levels of fire intensity are now required are 40kW per sq metre.
Our Australian fire tests done on materials for a fire rating are a static
test where heat/flames are applied until the materials fail. These tests are
very different to those required for bushfires.
So different techniques are required in Australia for testing for bushfires
(wild fires).
I am not sure how other countries test materials for bushfire categories.
Any comments please?

Bohdan Dorniak