[GSBN] A Question about Mold and Insurance

Bohdan Dorniak bdco at adam.com.au
Mon Oct 5 22:24:56 UTC 2009

Yes please Joyce that'd be great
Bohdan

-----Original Message-----
From: GSBN-bounces at greenbuilder.com [mailto:GSBN-bounces at greenbuilder.com]
On Behalf Of Joyce Coppinger
Sent: Monday, 5 October 2009 1:25 PM
To: GSBN
Subject: [GSBN] A Question about Mold and Insurance

Hello everyone,

I talked to Wendy by phone tonight. She lives in Spokane Washington area
(rural). She currently has construction liability insurance with the local
Farm Bureau agency. They have notified her that they will not provide
homeowners insurance for her home when her construction liability policy
expires on November 30. She has not talked directly with the underwriter,
but the office secretary told her by phone that the reason for denying
insurance was the issue of mold - giving no further explanation.

It has taken her three years to build her house because of contractor delays
and problems, and financing issues during this difficult economic time. She
says there is some indication that the project took too long.

She will welcome any suggestions given to her in educating the local
insurance agency underwriter and help in getting insurance for her home.

I've sent a document to her that I prepared for use here locally that
outlines BASICS AND BENEFITS OF THE USE OF STRAW BALES FOR BUILDINGS -
citing U.S. codes as it pertains to SB that I received from David E.,
excerpts from the document Thermal Performance of Straw Bale Wall Systems
from Bruce K., info about the straw bale test results (fire tests done in
Texas), excerpts from Moisture properties of straw and plaster/straw
assemblies by John Straube, and other citations. I'll send a copy of the
document to you by separate email if you would like to see and review it.

Joyce
Joyce Coppinger
Managing Editor/Publisher
The Last Straw, the international journal of strawbale and natural building
PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
<thelaststraw at thelaststraw.org> web site: www.thelaststraw.org and our new
blog at http://tls.buildearth.org