[GSBN] A question about mold and insurance

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sun Oct 4 16:14:33 UTC 2009

I don't see any harm in being somewhat aggressive about asking the
underwriter to show their case--nothing to loose, that I can see.  You might
expose some know-it-all curmudgeon hiding in his cubicle. At least you may
get an honest answer, and then you can offer an alternative, such as a mold
disclaimer, or having the guy in the cubicle fired for obstructionism.

John

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM, jfstraube <jfstraube at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gee DavidThis is you hearing from me. But I think John Swearingen put it
> best.This is not really a research question, but a practical "does mold
> happen more in SB homes" question. Paper-faced gypsum is the mold problem
> the beats all others based on incidence and probability.
> Most insurance policies now include an exemption for mold. Why not add an
> exemption for the concerned insurance company, and the homeowner knows that
> they are no longer covered for something that is not a risk.
>
> On 2009-10-02, at 6:53 PM, strawnet at aol.com wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> This came to us at DCAT and I wanted to share it here to see if anyone has
> information that might help resolve this issue. Obviously the insurance
> underwriter has the opinion that sb houses are prone to mold, so one
> question is, based on what evidence or documentation or studies? Of course
> they are in the driver's seat on this - they can make unsubstantiated claims
> and the burden is then on us to disprove them if we can. It would be good to
> hear from John Straube on this, as well as anyone else with information that
> could help.
>
> I have told her about the GSBN archives but will try to pass along your
> it was OK with her that I post this here, to Joyce at The Last Straw. Thanks
> for sharing what you all know...
> David
>
> ------------------
> Question: Have you or do you know of anyone who has researched mold in
> strawbale houses. I have just been denied insurance because the underwriter
> states that sb houses are prone to mold. All my research over the past 10
> years and during the building process is quite the oppisite, but i need
> facts to persuade the ignorant. Also my motgage co would love to cancel my
> loan if the insurance does not come thru. We have been with this company for
> 4 years and 3 of it during the building process. Are you able to help?
> Thank you Wendy

John Swearingen
www.skillful-means.com
blog: https://skillfulmeansdesign.wordpress.com