[GSBN] A question about mold and insurance

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Sat Oct 3 15:00:11 UTC 2009

I think there is value in challenging the underwriters to produce
evidence for their assertion.  It may or may not lead to approval by
that underwriter.  There is a fair possibility that this assertion
and denial is coming from one person in the company.  Moving the case
to a different person might have some effect.  On the other hand,
lots of insurance companies are trying to cover their losses in the
financial markets by dropping lots of policies, and avoiding anything
slightly abnormal.  So this could be a pretext.

CMHC and Don Fugler might have some useful information.  I know that
they have investigated mold in many kinds of houses, but I don't know
if they have tried to compile relative frequency data.  It's hard,
since the sample size for SB houses is small, and each house is
different.  John Straube, of course, is likely to be a valuable
resource, as David mentioned.

On the theme of challenging unsubstantiated assertions, I am saddened
to read in Bill's quoted letter, "It now has 21 tons of stucco on it
and all have assured me that mold can not grow in this dry alkali
environment of a closed stucco encased wall."  I only hope that the
stucco in question has good vapor permeability, or mold is likely, as
we know.  This homeowner might benefit from some additional
information on stucco and permeability, from someone other than the
"all" that have been assuring her so far.

Derelict

--On Friday, October 2, 2009 9:39 PM -0500 Bill Christensen