[GSBN] prefab strawbale

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Thu Jul 30 01:32:51 UTC 2009

Bruce,

My sense is that it's the stick roof that drives bale buildings away
from being load bearing.

The roof sticks need some manner of plate or beam under them, and
require leveling to rather stringent tolerances for the plywood
decking to go on well, so it's far sinpler to set up some wood  - in
whatever form - under the plate/beams to level it all up.

When we've done bale vault workshops,  the difference created by the
huge increase in tolerance level is readily apparent;  everyone is
involved all the way to the ridge. By contrast, with a stick roof, we
stack to the top of the wall and then half the group is reduced to
handing things up to the guys ( mostly ) with the tool belts.

So a roof system with the superinsulation and exceptional user-
friendliness of bale construction is the missing element.

Bale construction sits right on the border between building that
comes out of the earth and building that comes out of a box, and a
user friendly roof won't be of any interest in the Modcell  end of of
the spectrum, but for the majority of the world that's not a problem.

( Actually, it's only modernist architects that have much  interest
in a ( prefab )  bale wall with all the soul taken out of it, because
it's got that hard line look that's supposed to be " the spirit of
the age".    Our bread and butter in this revival has always been the
folks who want to live with surfaces that DIDN'T come out of a
factory. )

Bob Theis