[GSBN] prefab strawbale

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Thu Jul 30 00:42:39 UTC 2009

Greetings All:

As many of you know, in our bale buildings we continue to use
14" (35cm) wood I-joists for vertical framing at windows and doors,
and located between 7' to 10' (2m to 3m) on center otherwise, with an
LVL or some other plate at the top.  The I-joists have less wood than
a 4x6 (9x14cm) post, and are made up of 'engineered' lumber (OSB and
LVL).  This is a fraction of what the ModCells are using.  I can't say
it's the ultimate solution, but the creation of surfaces for stapling
mesh on both sides of the walls seems to greatly lighten the lateral
bracing as compared to some of the systems folks are using here in
earthquake country.

Before looking at the website, the thought that popped into my head
would be to prefab nearly everything EXCEPT the bales at the factory,
and then site install and finish these into frames carefully sized to
receive common bales of that region.  These would be much easier to
ship than the ModCell panels.  They could be much larger wall
sections, or possibly even building modules (floors, wall and roof)
without all of the weight of the bales and finish already in place.

All that said, I wish them only success.  Here's a building system
made largely of renewable resources, and is carbon negative.  Not much
else out there that can claim that, and probably none other in the
prefabricated world.

Cheers,

David Arkin

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste