[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

BuildersWithoutBorders mail at builderswithoutborders.org
Tue Mar 31 19:38:43 UTC 2009

This is probably a good time to share our recent fire story.  Like
the CO fire, it started due to "operator error" in unusual
circumstances.  But it has a happier ending, as it was mostly
confined to a workshop and some old sheds with few irreplaceable
things. Thanks to some quick thinking on Pete's part, a lot of water
from our valiant volunteer fire department, and perhaps some good
karma, it involved our Lodge (B&B) very minimally.  And we were insured.

The strawbale lesson learned:  In the dark of night, while fire
fighters aimed hoses at the burning wood-framed workshop and sheds,
fire crept along the log beams that supported a roof connecting the
shed with the Lodge.  The log beams terminated into an exterior
straw-bale "wrap" - that we had installed around a cold corner of the
stone and brick structure.

About 3AM, as the volunteer fire fighters were wrapping up their
hoses, a flashlight illuminated a bit of smoke curling up from where
a log penetrated the strawbale wall.  Pete & I knew right away the
straw was probably smoldering inside the wall.  He climbed up a
ladder and started hammering off the stucco at that spot
(fortunately, no stucco wire hindered him.)

Reaching into the wall with a gloved hand, he pulled out many
handfuls of shiny yellow straw, and a bit of charred stuff.
We also climbed around the attic to get as close as possible,
squirting water from a hose hooked up to the water heater drain down
into the ceiling and wall.  Fortunately the fire was not in the
ceiling and was confined to smoldering straw...

Then something a fire fighter (who later turned out to be the fire
marshal) said triggered an idea:  He said, "Feel the wall on the
inside... is it hot?"  Yes it was, and there was a particular place
where it was warmer than anywhere else.  The light bulb went on in
Pete's head and he located a handy tool that can be bought at any
hardware store, and Radio Shack for about $25 (or less):  A
non-contact thermometer.  Aim it at anything and it will tell you the
temperature.

We told the firefighters they could go home (though they left us a
truck and a hose hooked up if we were to need it.)

On the inside, with the non-contact thermometer, I could pinpoint
exactly where the smoldering was, and yell out the window to Pete who
was pulling straw and a small amount of charred straw out of the
wall.  When he got it all, which didn't take long, the temperature of
the wall rapidly went down (fortunately it was a cool night.)  We
could breath easier then.  He stayed up the rest of the night
monitoring the wall with the non-contact thermometer, inside and out,
to make sure there was no more smoldering in the wall.

The result - water in the strawbale wall damaged the interior finish,
and took a while to dry out.  We still haven't fixed the hole in the
stucco (it's in the back and doesn't show), but it is quite
repairable.  We'll stuff it with more straw because it's not even as
big as a bale.

What would we do differently?  Try not to put water into the
wall.  If anything, the old-fashioned fire extinguishers with powder,
might have helped without damaging the straw.

What did we learn that is worth sharing?  A non-contact thermometer
is a pretty handy tool to have on-hand.  Naturally in a big fire it
wouldn't be helpful. But in this type of circumstance, it made a huge
difference.  We could pinpoint the fire, and did not have to take the
whole wall down just to be sure the smoldering fire was out.

I hope this idea proves helpful to others in the future.

Sincerely,
Catherine Wanek
Co-director
Builders Without Borders