[GSBN] Matts' Fun with Maps

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Mar 5 13:58:04 UTC 2009

>> The problem is that Google maps and similar web based tricks are
>> TOO   PRECISE.
>
> I don't think that we would need a "Google Maps" satellite
> photo-type  precision.

We don't need or want that kind of precision, but the available
software mapping tools that I know of all demand it.  We want to say
"roughly here," but step one in the software is "enter the latitude
and longitude to four decimal places, or the street address and house
number."  If we don't use the ready-to-go software options, then
maintaining the map will take way too much time.

> I think that most people think of distant locales in terms of
> "nearest  major city".

While the software might not let us simply specify a city, I think
this concept might solve the privacy problem.  We could enter the
address/coordinates of City Hall in the nearest major city.  (Or
maybe the home address of any obstinate building code official.)
That way, even the hypothetical FBI search warrant wouldn't get any
new information (on specific SB home owners) from the map.

derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100