[GSBN] Embodied energy comparisons

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Fri Feb 20 18:17:52 UTC 2009

Ah, and here I was about to dismiss transportation costs myself.  I have to
admit to getting a bit irritated when I see absolute limits put on how far a
material is "allowed" to be shipped in order to be "green."

Your example makes sense when you think about it--the piers are 1/20th the
material, even if the cement (1/100th) was sent by boat from Asia.

The figures are very interesting: a cubic yard of concrete is equivalent to
the fuel to send a freight truck 108 miles.

John

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Bruce King Ecobuild <
bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org> wrote:

> A note on transportation energy, of which Andrew is a bit dismissive.
> I was also dismissive, until I did a calculation for a specific job (my
> report excerpted below in red after my signoff tag).  I had assumed that
> reinforced concrete was so energy intensive that any- and every-thing should
> be done to minimize its use (no easy task here in shaky California).
>
> What I found was that I was not only wrong, but VERY wrong.  Transportation
> energy was HUGE, at least when discussing the movement of heavy stuff (earth
> and rock) into and out of a dense urban area (ie, pretty far, and by truck).
>  My simplified conclusion is to confirm what is now enshrined in various
> green building standards such as LEED:  keep it local.  That axiom becomes
> more true the heavier the material is, and conversely less so with light
> materials.  If the best instant hot water heater happens to be made on the
> other side of the world, go ahead and get it, no big deal.  If, however,
> you're talking about moving dirt, or the heavy structural and finish
> materials, then localize vigorously.
>
> Here in the USA, we routinely ship framing lumber in great quantity over a
> thousand miles to its sales and use point, such as where Derek lives in New
> Mexico.  In San Francisco, we import gravel -- GRAVEL -- a thousand miles
> from British Columbia for our concrete.  The system, in other words, is
> massively dependent on cheap oil.  That maybe made sense for our parents'
> generation, but not for ours, and certainly not for all of those generations
> -- of all species -- yet to come.
>
> My two cents.  I really appreciate everyone's posts.  This is no simple
> subject, but we do need to think these things through.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce "a still vigorous local" King
> (415) 987-7271
> bruce-king.com
>  . . . the foundation discussion of a drilled pier system or not resurfaced
> last week as excavation and site clearing began.  We have always shown
> drilled piers in the drawings where the structures are over an appreciable
> amount of fill, but decided -- after much deliberation -- to omit piers in
> the more stable, "cut" portions of the  foundation.  I had led the charge
> away from piers on the assumption that the saved concrete and rebar amounted
> to the greener way to go;  Mark Baumann and Andy Murray [geotechnical
> engineers] tentatively concurred, and we crafted a foundation that worked in
> every sense of the word, based on that assumption.  We were operating on
> instinct and judgement, as no one had ever (to our knowledge) ever even
> tried to make any sort of apples-to-apples comparison for something like
> this -- at least from an ecological perspective.   The resulting design, as
> is currently shown on the drawings, requires the overexcavation and export
> of a three foot layer under the cut areas, which volume must then be
> backfilled with imported, compacted baserock.

> [...]

John Swearingen

Skillful Means
www.skillful-means.com