[GSBN] Fwd: Embodied energy comparisons: SB vs Stick-built

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Feb 16 15:59:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

I did a quick simulation of a conventional house in Boston, 2000SF in size,
vs. an energy efficient one that uses "off the shelf" improvements (better
windows, furnace, etc.), and got a difference of 4.2 times the emission for
the conventional house.  In quantity, that's about 24,000 more pounds of CO2
emitted annually (31,292 vs 7,352), which is a striking difference.

If both of those houses were 50% larger, or 3000SF,  the emissions are
increased by about 30% (33% for the conventional and 28% for the efficient
one). You can get up to about 15,000 SF before the efficient house burns as
much as the smaller conventional house (but I wouldn't spread that around).
So size matters but  efficiency matters more.

 I've no idea how that compares with the carbon burned/sequestered during
construction, the "net" numbers, and would certainly be interested to know.

John

John Swearingen

Skillful Means
www.skillful-means.com