[GSBN] Fwd: Embodied energy comparisons: SB vs Stick-built

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Feb 16 06:51:10 UTC 2009

Thank you, Andrew, for replying to my concerns and questions.  I'd
like to investigate two points a little further, if you are willing.
The first is getting the 2x4 to the job site.  I see that I wasn't
sufficiently explicit in my use of that phrase.  I was not thinking
simply of transportation.  I was thinking of all the fuel burning,
carbon releasing things that are required to produce and deliver that
2x4.

My mental model begins when the tree is harvested with chain saws and
perhaps larger scale motorized harvesting.  It is brought out of the
forest with large diesel vehicles, then loaded on trucks for
transport to a sawmill.  Road building is involved, whether this is a
forest or a plantation.  Road maintenance is involved.  Tires are
replaced, vehicle parts are replaced.  At the sawmill, we run the
saws, and light/heat the buildings.  Sawdust and scrap are burned,
more or less efficiently, which releases some of the carbon which had
been stored in the tree.

At some stage, the lumber is sent to the drying kiln, which also uses
fossil fuel.  All of the office workers, sitting in their
heated/cooled offices, are releasing carbon in order to help produce
that 2x4.  Almost all the direct and indirect workers arrive and
leave their workplaces by fossil fuel vehicle.

The 2x4 goes to the planer.  It is graded.  It may be moved a few
times in storage and warehousing.  It is transported in various
steps, with repeated loading and unloading, until it finally gets to
the job site.  Meanwhile, the harvest site is being cleaned up and
prepared for replanting.  Slash may be burned, which has a greenhouse
gas impact far worse than the simple CO2 contained.  The new trees
are planted.  Some level of care is expended until the next harvest.

Each of the items in this chain had to be built, maintained, and at
some time will be dismantled.  A little bit of carbon from each of
these steps must be counted against the carbon stored in the 2x4.  At
the point when we are ready to harvest again, we reach the beginning
of the cycle, as I have delineated it.  Only then can we stop the
meter on the carbon used to produce and deliver a 2x4.

There are probably other factors that I have overlooked.  These were
the kinds of things that I was thinking of when I said that I would
be surprised if you could get a 2x4 to the job site with a negative
(good) carbon balance.  I am prepared to be surprised again, but I
wonder if all of these kinds of things included in your calculations,
Andrew.  I would love to see the estimates on these factors.  Perhaps
they will be in your upcoming thesis.

I'd like to better understand this statement that you made:

"The numbers in my report are net, to the factory gate. So, a negative
number for timber indicates the overall CO2 that has been removed from
the atmosphere."

Please tell me more about what goes into the "net" numbers.  And is
this "factory gate" the last milestone before the 2x4 heads to the
job site, or is it earlier in the process?

The other thing I would like to hear a little more about is Bill's
question about building size and energy usage.  In the US, for the
last 100 years, carbon released due to heating/cooling energy use
during the building's life cycle has been many times the embodied
energy of construction.  A larger house will waste more energy, and
therefore release more carbon, using the fossil fuel energy sources
that supply the overwhelming majority of homes.

How can this be factored into the carbon sequestering discussion?
How much difference would there be between an average new house, and
a highly energy efficient one, in terms of the relative importance of
size and carbon sequestering?

Thanks again for sharing your time and information.

Derek

--On Monday, February 16, 2009 12:12 PM +1300 Graeme North

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico