[GSBN] Gypsum

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Tue Feb 10 21:15:31 UTC 2009

Like Bill (and probably many others) I too used to think that the Earth
was flat,.... uh..... that gypsum is only to be used on interior walls.
That was until I saw a beautiful rose gypsum fountain on an ecological
festival. The point the stand-holder wanted to make with that fountain
was that  certain gypsums are remarkebly water resistant. They can and
have been used on façades for centuries (in fact since 7000 BC). The guy
wrote a leaflet on the production of natural gypsum but unfortunatly it
is so thin I cannot locate it in my library so I cannot find the name of
the guy who deserves the credit. He told me to not make the very common
mistake to think that the gypsum we find in the regular building store
is really that: pure natural gypsum.

As for Mark Potin of www.platre.com. I found him to be passionate and
very knowledgable both in building history and in science (wich of
course makes him the perfect gypsum salesperson). Quite a few positive
things can be said about good natural gypsum but I'll leave that up to
Mark. Like Kiba, I would very much suggest CASBA or any other SB
organisation that holds gatherings to invite him for a presentation.
I can also invite him on the GSBN if you don't mind another garlic eater
on board (lucky for you smell is still not transferred as an email
attachment).

To cite a phrase Marc wrote to boast gypsum plaster when talking about
the abundance of outside gypsum plaster in France, Germany, Middle & Far
East and coastal North Africa (replaced by hydraulic binders since the
early 20th century) : "...in Paris of course, but also in  Rouen and
Biarritz, there are still tens of thousands multi story buildings (up to
5 stories) of post and beam filled with cob or gypsum that are gypsum
plasted on the outside".

Since my gypsum revelation at the ecological festival I've been
searching for documentation on its traditional use but have yet to find
a 300 page book on the subject.

Bye,
André 'old worlder' de Bouter
France