[GSBN] Lime plaster and expansion joints

John Glassford jacksflat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 07:28:49 UTC 2009

G ' day Laura

We have platered some long lengths 24 metres and up to 5.4 metre high walls
with three coats of lime and sand.  This plaster, hydtrated lime and sand,
was pumped onto two of the jumbo bale buildings, a winery and a community
hall.

So far zero cracking both buildings are load bearing and tied down with all
thread every 1.8 metres with excellent compression.

See here photos of one of the two buildings:<?shva=1#inbox/11f4d185566df9df>

http://glassford.com.au/main/?page_id=773

However in the days we used cement plaster we did get cracks every 3 meters
on the 24 metre long walls of the winery near Geelong and these cracks were
not easy to repair.  However the building has been up now nearly 7 years
with no problems again load bearing jumbo bales:

http://glassford.com.au/main/?page_id=272

We do use a fibre mesh 10 mm  with our lime renders and we apply this mesh
to the whole building between the second and third coats.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions