[GSBN] use of ashes in clay plasters and/or floors

Lorenzo Robles lorobles55 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 7 16:29:27 UTC 2009

Hello everybody:

In reality, ashes are not of much help when mixed with clay (it is a sort of lime  in fact), as far as isolation is the concern. It becomes a very good -and unexpensive - isolating material, when poured dry between two surfaces. Like if you build a brick, or adobe, double wall, and leave a gap of two inches  between each wall. Filling that gap with  ashes, gives very good results; I did this in Morocco to insulate a furnace, and it did work really good.  The unpleasant part is the filling in, better wear masks, and leave no crack or holes if you dont want the ashes to leak into the house.

Cheers

Lorenzo