[GSBN] Lime plaster and expansion joints

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Fri Feb 6 19:28:28 UTC 2009

Dear Community,

I've been meaning to raise this question for a bit, but now have a
specific project that has prompted me to finally get to writing (isn't
it often that way?). As straw bale projects are used for larger
projects, and lime plaster is used on these, it begs the question of
whether we need to be using expansion joints on large expanses. With
lime having different characteristics than a cement stucco, I'd be
curious to know from those who are well ahead of me in doing large
straw bale projects with lime if you have seen issues with not using
expansion joints. For those who may use them, at what square footage
of unbroken wall has it seemed to begin to make sense? Certainly there
are large historic lime plastered structures to look to, but given the
fact that historically the substrate was not straw bale, I wonder also
how we can still learn from these and apply lessons to our work.

I am always grateful that we have this community and these discussions.

Regards,
Laura

Laura Bartels
P.O. Box 912, Carbondale, CO 81623