[GSBN] Baling thoughts + bagasse

Bruce King ecobruce at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 20:25:59 UTC 2009

Sidebar on bagasse, after Tim's comments:

Sugar cane is pretty high in silica, so the remnant stalks and fiber
(bagasse) left over after you squish out the cane juice is a valuable
feedstock.  More than anyone I know of, the Cubans have developed a
wonderful small scale industrial ecology around this:  grow the cane,
harvest the sugar, then burn the bagasse in small local kilns (ideally
generating electricity), then grind the resulting ash to make a
pozzolan.  Mix the pozzolan and some bagasse fiber in a mold, press,
and you have durable roofing tiles .

You may also want to check out the forthcoming Ecomaterials Conference
in Bayamo, Cuba (same people), which happens every four years.  I went
to the last one, and it was fantastic, but must miss this one as it
straddles a major US holiday (Thanksgiving) and I can't be away.

Thanks,

Bruce King
(415) 987-7271
bruce-king.com