[GSBN] Baling thoughts

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:42:21 UTC 2009

Happy solar and lunar new years everybody,

I've built with Hemp bales but neither corn nor Sugar. Though with regard to
structure, thermal performance, and ease of construction I imagine they
would be similar. I don't understand decomposition or spontaneous combustion
enough to comment authoritatively, but in a few conversations I had at a
conference with a delegation from Brazil they felt that there is very little
food source or nitrogen left after the sugar cane is processed, and that the
crushed, extracted, and dry culms would fold easily into bales. I believe
they call the sugar cane waste Bagasse. I've heard of it's exploratory use
in clothing, packaging, and both as ash and aggregate in concrete. The
Brazilians seemed really eager to try out the bale building techniques but I
see no sign of them on the web. Do we have a Brazilian contingent on this
list?

I personally believe that we need to diversify and localize our solutions as
much as possible, for so many reasons.

thanks to you all for taking up the challenges in your way,

Tim