[GSBN] Cellulose in unvented roof

timok timok at vitalsystems.net
Fri Jul 18 23:06:43 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Thanks for the input on my detailing documentation dilema. as you can see
from the pasted text below of the notes between JFS and I we have decided to
err on the side of caution and live to fight the beauracracy another day. if
any one is interested in the supporting documents we are using just post to
me off list and ill be happy to send you a copy of them as well as our final
roof detail.

stay true,

tim

p.s. for those who have been watching our latest battle with fire the flames
came up to my property three times and were beat back twice by the Fire
service and once be me and some volunteers. And though we're not totally out
of the woods (pun intended) the smoke is starting to clear. though I will
miss the red moon rises and gloriously violet-red-orange-gold -green
sunsets, it's amazing how valuable a really deep breath of fresh air can be.

Thanks for the note John,

We have concluded that adding R-5 rigid over the roof sheathing is cheap
insurance: the client probably would have spent more on my services and
other consultants to prove otherwise. I still believe that our roof as
designed would be fine, but since I see the added insulation and
condensation buffer as significant improvements, I can stomach the changes
in aesthetics and cost. Our roof is currently planned for copper shingles,
though with the price of copper to day we may trade them in for composition
and somspend the balance on fancy plaster detailing. I think the moisture
would condense well above the double #15 felt and not bellow the felt. But,
since we don't 100% understand the reason some fail and others don't I like
the redundancy that the rigid offers, especially when it comes to moisture.
wow I'm even being more redundant in this paragraph than I am on this roof.
well what was it Mark Twain said? if I'd had more time I'd have written a
shorter letter.

Well, I trust you are well and as always I appreciate the morsels of moist
wisdom you drop on us peasants. Hopefully we can share some good wine soon.
speaking of which, rumor has it that the SIP's failed over the barrel room
at Ridge. I guess they should have taken your and my advice on that one. at
least the Bales are still fine. I knew when I saw them putting electrical
tape over all the staple holes in the visqueen that it was only a matter of
time.

enjoy being,

Tim