[GSBN] Fire Tests for Clay-Hemp or Light-Straw-Clay

Paula Baker-Laporte FAIA paula at econest.com
Mon Oct 22 18:02:40 UTC 2018

Hi Felie,
Are you aware of the fire testing done on light straw clay by Joshua
Thornton through CMHC with John Straube as his advisor? If you don't have
that information you can find it on our website at this link: Here is a
link from our website to the summary of the study
https://www.econesthomes.com/our-resources/links/the-cmhc-order-desk/ You
would want the full study that describes the firetesting in more detail and
so could contact Joshua or CMHC directly.
Best,
Paula

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 9:17 AM Feile Butler <feile at mudandwood.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded to this.
>
> Lots of leads and (not-so) light reading ahead of me. I will let you know
> how I get on.
>

> Regards
>

> *Féile *
>

> On 16/10/2018 11:22, Feile Butler wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am consulting on a round-pole/cob-cordwood theatre which was constructed
> in a piecemeal fashion over the past 15 years by permaculture students with
> no regard for building regulations. It is now used as the base for the
> drama students in the same college and also as an occasional public
> theatre. The local authority has recently taken an interest in it and
> closed it down until has been made compliant.
>
> We are trying to remain true to its ethos as an all-natural building,
> using locally-sourced, natural building materials as much as practicable.
> The building needs thermal upgrades as well as fire upgrades. There are
> numerous awkward gaps that need fire-stopping where the complicated
> reciprocal roof timbers land on the cob-cordwood walls. Therefore, we are
> proposing using either clay-hemp or light-straw-clay to clad the walls and
> act as a fire stop, providing both thermal and fire upgrades in one hit.
>
> The fire officer has requested a fire test for whichever of these
> materials we go for.
>
> Is anyone aware of any official English language fire tests for either or
> both of these materials? We need to meet 60 minutes fire resistance.
>

> Kind Regards
>
> *Féile Butler*
> B.Arch MRIAI Conservation Grade III
> Executive Board Member of Earth Building UK and Ireland (EBUKI)
>
> *Mud and Wood / Roots Architecture*
> Grange Beg, Skreen, Co. Sligo
> *T:*  +353 (0) 71 930 0488
> *M:* +353 (0) 86 806 8382